 Trains / 4855
Re: UK Reddifest Train Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:57:23 GMT

Is british proto practice typically to use pairs of tracks? US practice
sometimes uses only a single track (which puts platforms on both sides of the
train, sometimes a handy thing.

The brits did all kinds of things...islands, and ones on both sides.  "my"
station in OO had 2 platforms, one for each track (Long Marton, S&C).  A lot of
the terminuses had 2 tracks side by side, then platform, so only one side of
the train was accessable at a time.

As far as a NA station, I think that Union Station in Toronto is a good
station, with it being a straight though station.  However, when you arrive on
"The Canadian" from the north, you reverse into the station now...for quite
some distance.  I can remember in Edmonton(?)  (I think it was Edmonton, I know
it was in AB) reversing in "The Canadian" for about 20 min to get into the
station...I found it strange.  But, then I have sat at Sudbury Jct for 30 min
waiting for 2 people in "The Canadian" as well...something that would not
happen anywere else in the world, or with any other mode of transport.

Union station has 1 track, and platform, with 12 or so tracks.  The Amtrack
trains get the 2 closest to the lake, and GO transit (commuter) gets a bunch on
the other side (6 or so).  There was a interesting bit a while ago, when one
train kind of ran into the end of one it was following, about them not doing
that particular manouver...they are back to doing it (having 2 trains on the
same platform for the GO trains.)

James P