 Trains / 28439
Re: My first train7 project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 21:55:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Martin Legault wrote:
<snip>

There are three yellow, regular style rounded LEDs shoved into the tubes of this
piece:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6192

Have you tried to put 1 red, 1 green and 1 blue led per pieces to obtain white
light? That would do like TV,LCD, plasma.  Adjusting the power for each led
migth be tricky to have white ligth and not kind of reddish or greenish ligth.

Whoa, a blast from the past!  Hi Martin!

Ya I know, I still regularly read Lugnet but my post are realy rare now.

We did experiment with the "blue" lights, red ones and yellows, with both yellow
trans and light blue trans domes.  By far the blues are MUCH more directional
(or "point source" maybe a better way to describe it) like than the old school
yellow and red ones, which are much more mellow.

Putting a yellow and a red in proximity didn't yield any mixed light :(  They're
not close enough and there's nothing fusing the colours together (the plastic
certainly doesn't).  Perhaps a reflector might have worked, but it would make
the assembly pretty huge.

The resultant combo looks sorta like a 1970's spaceship control panel. :(

I know there are white LED's...I think this guy seriously gave me the wrong
ones.  For the dollar a piece they were, I'm kinda angry.

Calum

I thought that you mean that white led were too bluish. Find a better shop :-).
Have you tried to bring a 9V battery (with a 1KOhm resistor) to test the led in
store?

If you want to know if the led will be diffuse or directional, look at the
plastic cap. If you can see thru the led, it is directional, if it is kind of
foggy, it is diffuse.

White led would probably be only directional as the main if not only reason for
white led is to lite some (specific) area as opposed to other color which are
more to display some status or condition of equipment.

Martin