 Trains / 28433
Re: My first train7 project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:00:34 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Christopher Masi wrote:

Very cool. I can't wait to see it as part of a layout.

Thanks!

The ceiling... are those three big pieces the quarter circle bricks used
to make the half pipe in http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3585 ?

Yeah, it's a pretty neat piece.  Jeff Van Winden used it in his space ship shown
at BrickFest last year.  Unfortunately, it's upside down! :)  There's a lot of
bracketing behind the wall to attach it upsidedown without a seam.  Even  used
some (gasp) Technic in there.

I'd love to get a better view of your lights. How many LED's are there,
15? What are the LED's in?

There are three yellow, regular style rounded LEDs shoved into the tubes of this
piece:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6192

There are five of these in trans-yellow for a total of fifteen LEDs:  I
originally bought five ultra bright white ones, which turned out to be blue.
They weren't very diffuse and didn't mix with the yellow plastic of the brick
well.

The brick is capped with a 1x8 Technic plate--the extra difference in height
from the top of the LED gives a bit of a gap between the top of the rounded
brick and the plate--and the LED's leads stick up through the holes of the
plate.  The leads were then wirewrapped.  There were two advantages, other than
the fact Mario prefers wirewrap:  Soldering loops of wire going in and out of
each hole would bring a hot iron really close to Lego plastic and the thin
wirewrap wires are easy to route around the pieces.

LED's were wired in groups of six, the output of a surplus 12VDC wall wart was
actually something close to 18VDC, so to drive them at 3V we needed to break it
out.  There's two groups of six yellows, and one group of three yellows and
three reds (in the utility room).

Also, I noticed that your minifigs are wearing some classic apparel :)

That's sort of the way I like it.  I'm not a big fan of all the new (well,
anything but the smile) heads/faces...and I sort of like the clean, iconic
minifigure "clothing" from the old days.

Calum