 Trains / 26986
  A castle fan's Train plan

Hey all, Before I begin, let me apologize for not being 'with it' as far as the train lingo goes. I'm just a novice, so please be kind. Before I was an AFOL, I was a model train fan, and to tell the truth I have a sizable collection in storage (HO (...) (18 years ago, 13-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

Anthony, Best of luck on your Polor Express project. Funny thing - I've always been a train fan. I'm now scratching the Castle itch and have gone on a bit of a spree buying up classic Castle sets! Must have more Forestmen... -- Bryan "Anthony Sava" (...) (18 years ago, 14-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) If you plan to put connecting rods on the drivers, you'll want to get 4 large wheels with flanges and 4 that are blind, no flange. The blind drivers will allow you to run through curves, and place the wheels closer to each other If you want (...) (18 years ago, 15-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) Thanks for the pointers! I had already planned on purchasing the blind drivers, but I was planning on having my drive wheel arrangement with a flanged driver first. Why do you suggest having a blind wheel first? Do the pistons hide the (...) (18 years ago, 15-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) Your welcome, I haven't actually built a steem engine this large, but I've been collecting ideas. (...) This is a long engine and unless you are articulating the boiler you'll want to balance the swing out at each end of the engine. The simple (...) (18 years ago, 15-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

This is my wheelbase: (URL) For this engine: (URL) Train>> I'm not actually using blind wheels; I make the middle wheels able to flex in, but it's extremely fiddly and you're better off with blind ones. The main thing this wheelbase does is attach (...) (18 years ago, 15-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) This is a good example of the first methode: (URL) Mat (18 years ago, 17-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

I never thought I'd have to ask this question, but hey details are details, right? Is it common for there to be very little between the bogies underneath a passenger wagon? I've been studying the Lionel toy version of the Polar Express, and thats (...) (18 years ago, 21-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) No, typically passenger cars have equipment(blowers, compressors, heaters, coolers, etc), tanks (air, water, fuel, waste), and other things underneath the floors. As you move forward in time, the amount of stuff increases. (an 1860s wire truss (...) (18 years ago, 21-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) I'd recommend just searching Brickshelf for steam train pictures. Some people (like me) are lazy and don't add anything but there are plenty of good examples out there. (...) These are almost impossible to do (that should bring some designs (...) (18 years ago, 21-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) Anthony- Here are a couple of styles of built in stairs in train cars I have built. I'm not the first to do any of these, but they can work well, especially the one in the passenger car: (2 URLs) There several other creative methods that have (...) (18 years ago, 21-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) Here's my suggestion for stairs. Black or grey these: (URL) SNOT'ed so the open top points out. Either a single vertical row creating an L, or horizonatal pairs for a shape. Remember that other than photos and show-n-tells, few people are (...) (18 years ago, 21-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) Certainly a tried and true technique but doesn't easily make stairs that go into the carriage (the hard bit). There are numerous other parts that are handy, one notable one being the 1x2 plate with rail (part 32028) but it all depends on how (...) (18 years ago, 21-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

(...) Almost as elusive as pictures of Tim using proper bricks! Thanks for the compliment though. Most of the pictures I have on-line at the moment are (URL) here> and (URL) here>. The UK stuff I tend to build doen't have steps down to the ground, (...) (18 years ago, 23-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

I just wanted to post a big 'Thank you!' to everyone who's replied, you've all been a great help to me. Don't stop, by the way, I have much to learn. I also wanted to give a little public update on my progress - I built a prototype passenger car (...) (18 years ago, 23-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A castle fan's Train plan

Hey all, One final train novice question before I leave this thread to die (and hopefully start a new one with complete pictures!). Typical passenger cars: In the movie, the main character slows down a runaway rail car using a manual brake wheel on (...) (18 years ago, 4-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains)