 Trains / 27046
Re: A castle fan's Train plan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:50:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:

   So would anyone be so kind as to describe or give LEGO examples of what a typical undercarriage of a (steam era) passenger car looks like? Has anyone attempted the built-in stairs that descend below the train base?

Anthony-

Here are a couple of styles of built in stairs in train cars I have built. I’m not the first to do any of these, but they can work well, especially the one in the passenger car:

http://www.auctionbrick.com/mchiles/christmastrain/passenger.htm http://www.auctionbrick.com/mchiles/christmastrain/caboose.htm

There several other creative methods that have been used for built in stairs, including recessing stairs into the base of the train (by not using a train baseplate), building wider so the bogies don’t hit the stairs on corners, or inseting the bogies from the ends of the cars. Insetting from the ends of the cars is probably most prototypcial, but it requires prototypcially long passenger cars to still look good in Lego and long cars lead to problems on short radius track.

-Matt :)

Here’s my suggestion for stairs. Black or grey these: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6231 SNOT’ed so the open top points out. Either a single vertical row creating an L, or horizonatal pairs for a _ shape.

Certainly a tried and true technique but doesn’t easily make stairs that go into the carriage (the hard bit). There are numerous other parts that are handy, one notable one being the 1x2 plate with rail (part 32028) but it all depends on how accurate you want to be.

Here are some basic examples I’ve done. Unfortunately none of these are what you’re after if I got your meaning but in case I was wrong here they are: this uses Aaron’s suggestion but I was never overly happy with it, this one might be more what you want since it goes in but still not so handy, the back of a headlight brick makes a small step and can be combined with the L panel too. I know I made steps using tiles and plates with rails but I can’t find it so if you sniff around you might have better luck than me.

   Remember that other than photos and show-n-tells, few people are going to see the bottom of the train. I usually stick a small ‘greeble’ underneith for those viewers that get eye-level to a minifig at train shows.

I just realised whose work you should look at: Jason Railton. Pictures are elusive but he puts a lot of great detail under his trains.

Tim

--SNIP--