 Trains / 26999
Re: A castle fan's Train plan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:31:24 GMT

This is my wheelbase:
Wheelbase
For this engine:
Royal Train

I’m not actually using blind wheels; I make the middle wheels able to flex in, but it’s extremely fiddly and you’re better off with blind ones.

The main thing this wheelbase does is attach the cylinders to the same truck as the main driving wheels, but doesn’t attach them to the train body. This lets the driving wheels stick out one side on the corner, while the front and back trucks stick out the other way. If you attach any of the wheels directly to the body, you’ll find it swings out a long way on corners.

I keep the cylinders very flat, to slip between the top of the motor and the bottom of the body. You won’t have the motor at the front. Get some of the BBB small wheels (or old train wheels) to make a much lower front bogey than you could with Lego 9V wheels.

I also only take the weight of the train body on pivots on the front and rear bogeys. I don’t carry any weight on the driver wheels. This is because I don’t want the centre block to take any of the weight off the motor, or it will lose traction.

The basic rule for bogeys is that a 4-wheeled bogey needs a double-pin-jointed connection (a fishplate), so it can move side-to-side for negotiating points as well as just turning corners. A 2-wheeled bogey only needs one pivot. But, several two-wheeled bogeys in a row is a bad idea as the arrangement can fold up when pushed rather than pulled.

On my wheelbase, the single axle bogey at the rear of the engine locks together with the single axle bogey at the front of the tender to make a solid four-wheel bogey.

Jason R