 Trains / 26998
Re: A castle fan's Train plan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:07:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:

   Thanks for the pointers!

Your welcome, I haven’t actually built a steem engine this large, but I’ve been collecting ideas.

   I had already planned on purchasing the blind drivers, but I was planning on having my drive wheel arrangement with a flanged driver first. Why do you suggest having a blind wheel first? Do the pistons hide the ‘float’?

This is a long engine and unless you are articulating the boiler you’ll want to balance the swing out at each end of the engine. The simple methode is to place the center point between the flanged wheel sets as close to the center of the engine as possible. Scince the drive wheels are quite forward on the engine, I recomend placing the blind drivers first.

If you want to improve this even more, reverse the order on the drivers. Build the pistons as part of the driver wheel set, ot the engine. Pivot the leading wheels as before. Treat the leading wheels and driver/piston combination as one large truck. Build the rear wheels as a seperate truck. The have the rest of the engine rides on these two trucks. This will reduce the swing out at each end by introducing some at the middle. I think it may be more reliable as well.

   I know the leading wheels need to be on one pivot at the end of a connecting arm, but what about the rear wheels? Should they have a single pivot at the end of a connecting arm, or a double pivot at both ends of the arm (where it attaches to the engine and where it attaches to the trailing wheels)?

In the first methode, the trailing truck ataches to the driver wheels, not the engine. Test bothe a single pivot and a double, but I think the double will work better. In the second method it’s a non issue, the trailing wheels attch to the engine as on a rail car.

   What would you recommend on connecting the tender to the engine? Using a pair of LEGO’s buffers and magnets, just a pair of magnets by themselves, or a drawbar?

I recomend magnets and treating them as two cars. This should make it easier to place these on the track and remove for storage. But a drawbar should work as well. I’d avoid using the buffer plates, as they are very none US prototypical. Enstead I use these.
3176
48995

Mat