 Trains / 27044
Re: A castle fan's Train plan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:38:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:

   So would anyone be so kind as to describe or give LEGO examples of what a typical undercarriage of a (steam era) passenger car looks like? Has anyone attempted the built-in stairs that descend below the train base?

Anthony-

Here are a couple of styles of built in stairs in train cars I have built. I’m not the first to do any of these, but they can work well, especially the one in the passenger car:

There several other creative methods that have been used for built in stairs, including recessing stairs into the base of the train (by not using a train baseplate), building wider so the bogies don’t hit the stairs on corners, or inseting the bogies from the ends of the cars. Insetting from the ends of the cars is probably most prototypcial, but it requires prototypcially long passenger cars to still look good in Lego and long cars lead to problems on short radius track.

-Matt :)