 Trains / 26997
Re: A castle fan's Train plan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:22:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:

   I want this train to be fully layout compatible, and by that I mean I want it to be a fully functioning LEGO train capable of running on normal track layouts.

   The engine:

The Polar Express steam locomotive, at least in the movie (I can’t say for sure about the book) is based entirely off of one engine: the Pere Marquette Berkshire type 2-8-4 locomotive #1225.

If you plan to put connecting rods on the drivers, you’ll want to get 4 large wheels with flanges and 4 that are blind, no flange. The blind drivers will allow you to run through curves, and place the wheels closer to each other If you want the side rods connected to a piston the drive wheels will need to be fixed to the body, not swivel. I’d recomend putting a pair of blind drivers toward the front, then flanged, then blind, then a final pair of flanged. The real trick is attaching the leading wheels. These will need to attach to a pivot point. The pivot point needs to be as far back as possible, preferably near the axle of the front flanged wheels. The front wheels also need to avoid hitting the pistons. The trailing 4 wheels are easier, as they form a truck, this can almost float at the back of the engine.

Build your wheel arrangment first, including drive rods and pistons. Test this out along with a tender mock up.

I hope this helped. I’ve built only two engines with the BBB wheels, the first was a major learning experience. It was also one of the first train mocs I tried.

Mat

Mat

Thanks for the pointers!

I had already planned on purchasing the blind drivers, but I was planning on having my drive wheel arrangement with a flanged driver first. Why do you suggest having a blind wheel first? Do the pistons hide the ‘float’?

I know the leading wheels need to be on one pivot at the end of a connecting arm, but what about the rear wheels? Should they have a single pivot at the end of a connecting arm, or a double pivot at both ends of the arm (where it attaches to the engine and where it attaches to the trailing wheels)?

What would you recommend on connecting the tender to the engine? Using a pair of LEGO’s buffers and magnets, just a pair of magnets by themselves, or a drawbar?

--Anthony