 Trains / 25687
Re: The End of 9 Volt? (was: Re: Train motors half price via S@H weekly special)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 21:00:22 GMT

Chris Gray wrote:

Why AC? The advantage of AC is that you get much better low-speed
operation, because the rectified AC ends up being pulsed power. The motors
will make a bit of a humming noise, but would be able to creep along at
very low speeds. With AC power input, there are also no polarity issues
with feeding track or battery power into the RC receiver.

That's a highly overrated phenomenon... I'm into modelrailroading too and
for instance Fleischmann used this in their MSF controllers. However
there's very little difference between that system and regular DC systems.

What would work much better is if they used PWM, but cost would be a big
issue...

Also note that going AC would kill ANY compatibility with the old system...
always a Bad Thing
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/