 Trains / 25657
Re: The End of 9 Volt? (was: Re: Train motors half price via S@H weekly special)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:19:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

Hi all!

At the TSL event in Berlin there came up rumors the todays 9V train line
would be shut down. And that there would come up a new train system with
RC driven trains.

Hmmm.  That is an interesting scenario.  I'm just sitting here thinking
what I would do in that event.  I always sort of pitied the folks who still
decided to run the old 12 volt trains.  It just seemed so doomed; when
stuff broke down, that was it!  Buh-bye.  Now I face the same prospect,
because I very much doubt that I'd start all over with a new system, and
that kind of depresses me.  Heck, I'm already sitting on a pile of 4.5 volt
track from teh {last} change!

Now I'll admit that RC probably has more potential for playability for a
kid, but to me, it is a wasted development.  As far as our club goes, we
turn them on at shows and forget them.  I don't "play" with my trains; my
"playtime" is spent in the planning and building process.  When not run at
shows, my trains may as well be museum pieces for all the action they get.

Considering the remarkable growth in clubs devoted to LEGO trains over the
past few years, one wonders how such a change would affect this
progression. Did we peak in Cincinnati?  I certainly hope not.

I hope that those attending BF in a few weeks ask some penetrating
questions to the TLG VIPs-- as if anything we ever say could affect such a
decision:-/

[JOHN]

before we all start suffering from the OMG syndrom. lets take a step back
and realize brickfest is a week away. we will get all the answers we need
there. just relax.

What makes you think that we will necessarily get {any} answers at BrickFest?
Frankly, I wouldn't think that this is the kind of info TLG would want to
provide F2F at a "Fest"-- too volatile.

well i have known about the "rc train" for about 2 months now and since there is
allways some huge announcment typicly involving the train line logic tells me
that we will get some sort of information at brickfest. even if it's nothing
more than 9volt isin't dead.
  realisticly however, the lego company did a run of track in 2003. the last
time they ran a run of track i think it was 1994 so the track is going to last a
while. they also just reboxed the train motor. if they were going to kill off
the 9 volt line why would they bother when they can just sell off remaining
product to make way for the new line's squ's.

Besides, I was speaking hypothetically, which can hardly be described as "OMG
syndrom (sic)".  In any case, the whole scenario is lose-lose-lose:

true

Either--
* The 9volt line is discontinued, and a new RC system replaces it (bad)

agreed

* The 9volt line stays, and a new RC system joins it (bad-- wasted resources
that could have been used to improve 9volt line)

i disagree. personaly i enjoy playing with my trains as much as i enjoy building
them. so the possiblity of a 9volt rc train intrest me highly. personaly i would
concider it a dumb dcc system. if i were to use it on nothing but my switch
engine strictly for shunting it would be worth it in my book.

* The whole thing is merely
rumor (bad-- because chances are good that it isn't)

it isin't rumor, i can guarentee that.

I can't think of anything good that could come from such a decision.

read above.

ondrew

[JOHN]