 Trains / 25660
Re: The End of 9 Volt? (was: Re: Train motors half price via S@H weekly special)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:16:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D'Urbano wrote:

Okay, so there's no point in speculating but I will anyway since I've been
interested in (and worried about) what this could mean since I first saw the
coming of RC LEGO trains mentioned on the Eurobricks main page a while back.

I don't really follow other toy lines outside of LEGO but maybe others could
answer this.  Is there any precedent for or existing train toy that combines RC
control with powered track?  There are two things that scare me the most about
an RC LEGO train system:

1) Plastic rails = not a serious model railroad system (okay, so maybe this is
just a matter of perception, but I expect the metal rails helps with some level
of acceptance by non-LEGO folks at model train shows).  I also think plastic
rails look cheesy.

2) Battery Box - Ack!!!!!  It takes us space, it's a pain to disguise, it adds
weight, you're trains get sluggish as the batteries die, ugh... No good comes
from needing to incorporate a battery box in every loco design...

Okay, so what if you still get power from the rails but control the train
speed/direction (hopefully sounds and lights, too!) via RC?  Is there a reason
they couldn't do this?  Sure, you can't do reversing loops without insulating
track, but who cares about that?  It could still be compatible with today's 9V
trains and just be an upgrade in functionality.  For example you could even have
new trains with the RC controller pegged on max forward speed and then use the
old 9V controller powering the rails to set the train speed/direction like we do
now.

I guess one downside would be if TLG finds that having metal rails is what keeps
them from easily producing new track radius or switch-track curve-outs, etc.
Personally, I'd sacrifice new track variants to keep metal rails and avoid
battery boxes, but others may disagree.

Of course this is all speculation and (apparently) the product has already been
designed so this is just discussion for the fun of it...

I don't normally like these speculative threads but I feel compelled to add a
couple of comments here although I also have the nasty feeling it is already too
late.

Plastic rails and a battery in the train makes a lot of sense for a cost reduced
product aimed at being a kiddy's train set. Cheap rails, cheap controls and the
kids won't care if one of the cars or the engine is part battery box.

I can only guess that the cladding process used to apply the metal to the
existing rails is a real pain and expensive. I wonder what the quality and yield
issues are with the equipment that applies the metal to the plastic and bends
the tabs under?

My real concern is that a new battery system will not appeal to AFOLs. If AFOLs
continue to show up to train shows with what will then be legacy product, then
the potential value of AFOLs at train shows to TLG will diminish greatly. I can
just imagine talking to visitors at shows saying "Nope, you can't go out and buy
these trains anymore. This is just a display of what you used to be able to do."

Battery powered trains are not viable for 8 hour/day shows. I have no idea what
the track wear will be for plastic rails either. I know plastic wheels wear on
the current trains and have to be replaced. I dread to think about the cost of
replacing all the track every couple of years. Even if an all plastic track
piece cost half what the current metalized one costs, replacement is just not
realistic.

Lets all hope this is incorrect speculation and that train fans like Jake on the
inside of the company are busy at work waving the AFOL banner!

JB