 Trains / 25651
Re: The End of 9 Volt? (was: Re: Train motors half price via S@H weekly special)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 01:04:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:

   Hi all!

At the TSL event in Berlin there came up rumors the todays 9V train line would be shut down. And that there would come up a new train system with RC driven trains.

Hmmm. That is an interesting scenario. I’m just sitting here thinking what I would do in that event. I always sort of pitied the folks who still decided to run the old 12 volt trains. It just seemed so doomed; when stuff broke down, that was it! Buh-bye. Now I face the same prospect, because I very much doubt that I’d start all over with a new system, and that kind of depresses me. Heck, I’m already sitting on a pile of 4.5 volt track from teh last change!

Now I’ll admit that RC probably has more potential for playability for a kid, but to me, it is a wasted development. As far as our club goes, we turn them on at shows and forget them. I don’t “play” with my trains; my “playtime” is spent in the planning and building process. When not run at shows, my trains may as well be museum pieces for all the action they get.

Considering the remarkable growth in clubs devoted to LEGO trains over the past few years, one wonders how such a change would affect this progression. Did we peak in Cincinnati? I certainly hope not.

I hope that those attending BF in a few weeks ask some penetrating questions to the TLG VIPs-- as if anything we ever say could affect such a decision:-/

JOHN

before we all start suffering from the OMG syndrom. lets take a step back and realize brickfest is a week away. we will get all the answers we need there. just relax.

ondrew