 Trains / 23273 (-20)
  Re: What are these Japanese trains?

(...) If you're able to build it 6-wide *and* motorize it, I'll give you a dollar. LFB (20 years ago, 2-Aug-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Hogwarts Express 4-6-0 engine

I'm nearly finished with my HE 4-6-0, and thought I'd share some pics. It uses 3 pair of the BBB regular drive wheels, non are blind drive wheels. And it had a drive rods spannig all tree wheel sets. After experimenting I had several ideas to get 3 (...) (20 years ago, 2-Aug-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A newly discovered part that may be useful to trainheads, et al

In lugnet.build, Ray Sanders wrote: Images are now located at ... (URL) (20 years ago, 2-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.trains)

  Re: What are these Japanese trains?

(...) I agree with your assessment. I think I want to build that second one anyway! ++Lar (20 years ago, 2-Aug-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What are these Japanese trains?

(...) I think it's pretty clear they are photochops. There are far too many similarities between the two fake trains (same number, kanji on the front, background, lower edge and bogey details, the blue seat next to the driver in the triangular (...) (20 years ago, 2-Aug-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) I wasn't thinking of a passing loop. Just a point that can switch a train out the back of the display at 90° to the running line, and another that can come back in just down the line. You have two parallel tracks for extracting and inserting (...) (20 years ago, 2-Aug-04, to lugnet.trains)

  What are these Japanese trains?

I found this - looks funny (URL) even this... (trick photo? Looks like there is only one pair of wheels?) (URL) knows about this? S (20 years ago, 2-Aug-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) That one's not done by me. Not sure who did it, sorry. (20 years ago, 1-Aug-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) It's been done, certanly by VLC and probably by others. (The magic long trainshed by Larry P. as well, I think). As regards why a circular layout- at home, I have enough room that I could run end to end. I don't, instead, I chose to make 2 (...) (20 years ago, 1-Aug-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Now that sounds like an interesting setup. If you build a mountain large enough, you should theoretically be able to set it up with parallel tracks and an automated switching system so that one train can go into the mountain and another train (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Well, that's not exactly my argument. I'm saying when you block a large area from view just because you don't think a turning loop is 'prototypical', then your audience are more likely to see it as an inconvenience, rather than appreciate your (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: COLTC to display at Dennison TrainFestival, July 30 - Aug. 1

Pictures are up from setup on Thursday: (URL) rail fans, there are a large number of locomotives on display, with more scheduled to have arrived after I took pictures on Thursday. Pictures can be seen here: (URL) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.oh)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Or at least you hope so... ;P (...) The rarity of the pieces used, the level of detail, and the size of the MOC come into play there. Jason Spears likes to build small tudor houses in rare colors, and Chris Leach likes to build tall structures (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) I think the point Rick was trying to make was if you bring a mountain to a show it's likely to be mostly assembled and takes far less time to make show ready. I do have to disagree with the cost factor however. Building BIG items like my (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Is it? Don't the tunnels and such need to be detailed as well? Larry's mountain may cover a large chunk of track, but I'd bet it could be cheaper to just lay down a few empty baseplates, pepper them with trees and shrubs, and stick a few (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) <snip> (...) On the other hand, trains disappearing and reappearing is a huge facination for children and adults alike (myself included). That's one of the reasons why traditional model railroaders have always added tunnels and hidden loops to (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Idea for new train wheel

(...) Using a BBB wheel would be the best starting point. I know that many of the train builders in Europe use the old spoked wheel, with a custom metal flanged tire added. I'd recomend turning a standard BBB to remove the flang and a git of the (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Idea for new train wheel

(...) In HO the presence/absence of tyres is sometimes considered a sign of low/hi quality. High quality models don't have them because they don't need them, they free roll enough that adhesion due to weight is sufficient. IIRC slippage is more (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Steam engine complex wheelbases (was: BBB wheels sales)

In lugnet.trains, Teunis Davey wrote: <snip> (...) Yes. There will be an announcement on lugnet/trains concurrent with the Brickfest announcement. Ben (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Here's the track plan: (URL) I don't have any pictures of the finished module, but I think there might be some from the club events pictures. The siding in the very bottom-left started on a pier at the front of the table. That went under a (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact