 Trains / 22757
Re: Question about point/switch modifications.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 15:20:35 GMT

My observations:
1. Dremel disks break.  Get a good pair of Safety Glasses _AND USE THEM_.

How do I mod track?  Jewelers saw, Dremel, File, 5 min epoxie, small soldering
iron, 2x6 lego brick, 2x4 lego plate, solder & rosin flux.

Take saw.  Cut plastic portion, using 2x6 brick as a fence to guide the cut.
When you get to the metal, take the Dremel & cut the metal through.  Do this to
both pieces, being careful that there is one cut on the outside & one on the
inside of the brick...(you want to remove the least material possible...think
about how to do it).  Then, take the 2x4 plate & attach the 2 cut pieces
together.  If they don't quite fit, file until they do.  Mix up your epoxie, and
glue the 2x4 plate as a splice plate on the 2 1/2 ties.  Use some more of the
epoxie to fill underneath the rails (optional).  Wait for the epoxie to harden
up.  Take flux & solder a small bridge across the outsides of the cut rails.
(if you mis cut, you may need to add a bit of copper wire...)

That's it.

I've done 1/2 curve & straight, 1/4 straight, 3L, 5L straight, 10L straight,
crossovers & all curved points.  Haven't made any crossings, but I try to avoid
grade crossings if possible.