 Trains / 22741
Re: Question about point/switch modifications.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:53:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
I'm impressed by the quality of these modifications, but can anyone direct me to
anyone who's done anything simpler.  I'm talking about converting the branch so
that it's equivalent to two standard curves, whilst keeping it all as one piece.
Making the extra fractional curves and straights so that the point can work in
standard or modified configuration seems a bit too much work to me.

Jason Railton

My first modification was exactly that--one piece switch in which the curved
section is equal to 2 standard curved sections.

Look lower on the page--

http://sparky.i989.net/ltrain.htm

It's a pretty simple procedure--cut up a curved piece and cut the end off the
switch.  Stich the switch and the curved pieces together and et voila!

Take care,

Dave K

I'm following your mods with interest.  Since I know it's not commercially
viable for TLC to make all these track shapes, I wondered do you make any of the
following to sell:
Half straights
Half curves
Diamond crossings (2 straights at 22.5 degrees)
2-switch crossovers, left or right handed?

Would you consider making any of the following:

Track pieces with concave / convex ends, forming the sliding tracks for a
turntable?  The turntable track would be 80L long and the table would be
supported on a circle of inner radius blue or grey rails.  I suggest cutting a
straight in half but with a curved cut of 40L radius, using 2 cut straights and
4 normal straights on the table, with the other halves of the cut straights
forming the orthogonal roads leading away from the table.

A switch with a branch of 1 curve + 1 straight?  Then it would be the start of a
wider radius curve, 80ft with a curve on it or 120ft with a straight and a curve
in 8mm:1ft scale.  Can you estimate whether this is possible, given the number
of curve sleepers that are in the switch?

A switch that had 1 straight + 1 curve for the main line and 1 curve + 1
straight for the branch?  This would allow the two tracks to go through 90
degrees and become parallel 16L apart.  It would be the equivalent of the double
curved switch used in OO and HO layouts, which saves a lot of space by putting
the pointwork on the corners of the layout.

Wide radius curves that would replace 0.5S+C+0.5S or S+C+S with a smooth curve
of appropriate radius?  I think this would involve cutting and swapping lots of
pieces between straights and curves, but perhaps removing and bending the metal
pieces, rather than cutting them.  These smooth curves would allow my tilting
Pendolino train to go at a full 9 Volts, pulling about 1.2 Amps from my PSU and
doing about 90mph scale speed!  (at the moment it comes off at about 8 Volts
(80mph) on curves made from SCSSCSSCSSCS).

Just a few ideas for your experiments :-)

Mark Bellis