 Trains / 22751
Re: Question about point/switch modifications.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:36:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:
   The Dremel is good for what it does, but having a fence or a guide wound be > a handy additional feature.

Dave K
That’s what’s put me off so far. I don’t have a very steady hand and a dremel goes at minimum of 10,000rpm. I’d be likely to shatter the disc, slice the parts in the wrong places or chop into my hand!

At least the table saw you showed had a safety screen. Is a saw disc or a cutting disc better for cutting bricks with a drill?

So far I have put small parts on a fast Lego motor and used that as a lathe by applying a hacksaw followed by a file. To turn the tyres of 24mm pulleys I used a 12 Volt motor with red belts from each wheel onto 24mm pulleys on an axle below. With a PSU I can get 8 watts out of that for filing the tyre down.

I think I might try using dremel bits in my cordless drill as it’s slower. That’s if the chuck will hold the small collet safely.

Is there any merit in removing the metal rail from the track, once you’ve marked where the cut should be, and cutting metal and plastic separately? You could solder a wire underneath the metal before refixing it.

Mark