 Trains / 22754
Re: Question about point/switch modifications.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 02:12:26 GMT

Mark Bellis wrote:

In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:

The Dremel is good for what it does, but having a fence or a guide wound be >
a handy additional feature.

Dave K

That's what's put me off so far.  I don't have a very steady hand and a dremel
goes at minimum of 10,000rpm.  I'd be likely to shatter the disc, slice the
parts in the wrong places or chop into my hand!

At least the table saw you showed had a safety screen.  Is a saw disc or a
cutting disc better for cutting bricks with a drill?
[snipped]

My first couple track modifications, I used a scroll saw.  This works
very good for the ABS... but poorly for the metal rail.

Later, I learned that using a cutting disc/dremel on the metal rail was
much easier.  I then run the track through the scroll saw.  Remember, I
am cutting through the middle of the tie rather than just before it
where there is less plastic.

Also, I only solder a small piece of wire to the outside of the rail
(with it still attached to the track).  This way, I don't have any
filing or sanding to do and it is quite strong.  I found that it was too
hard to get the solder to bond across the cut.  I think the adhesive
that I use was heating up and squeezing between the rail... this caused
it to bow upward and caused the solder to gap.

The whole process is much faster and cleaner now than it was for my
first pair of switches.

I may try other modifications as well.  Some half turns and half
straights would be useful.  The portion removed from these two
modifications could then be grafted into an "extra long" straight or
"extra long" curve piece.

// Joe
p.s. To anyone who modifies switches such that the off line equals two
curves:  consider selling me the end that is removed from the switches.
  I would like to acquire a good quantity of these pieces.  Thanks.