 Trains / 22748
Re: Question about point/switch modifications.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:26:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
I'm impressed by the quality of these modifications, but can anyone direct me to
anyone who's done anything simpler.  I'm talking about converting the branch so
that it's equivalent to two standard curves, whilst keeping it all as one piece.
Making the extra fractional curves and straights so that the point can work in
standard or modified configuration seems a bit too much work to me.

Jason Railton

My first modification was exactly that--one piece switch in which the curved
section is equal to 2 standard curved sections.

Look lower on the page--

http://sparky.i989.net/ltrain.htm

It's a pretty simple procedure--cut up a curved piece and cut the end off the
switch.  Stich the switch and the curved pieces together and et voila!

Take care,

Dave K

I'm following your mods with interest.  Since I know it's not commercially
viable for TLC to make all these track shapes, I wondered do you make any of the
following to sell:
Half straights

Cutting straight??  Are you serious???? ;)

Half curves

Done.  Easiest modificaiton to date.

Diamond crossings (2 straights at 22.5 degrees)

A good friend in rtlToronto made one.  I may attempt this at some point.

2-switch crossovers, left or right handed?

Done, but on my way to ripping 'em apart and making them into the '3 in 1'--by
having a half curve, the 'parallelogram' and the modified switch, you can have
the configuration of the original switch, the two curved switch, and with the
addition of another modified switch, the two switch crossover (as pointed out by
Mark in this very thread)

My modifications are working for me at this point.  With 400 grit sandpaper I
smooth out everytihng and my train wheels are experienceing no hardship at this
point.  But I would like to get more comfortable with making these things before
I consider selling 'em to the masses--if y'all come back saying "Hey!  These
things scratched my train wheels!  I get constant derailments!!  You sunk my
battleship!!!", I wouldn't be so happy.

I am getting better--I only started with this type of stuff a few weeks ago.
That said, if ya want 'em, I'll make 'em in the near future.

Would you consider making any of the following:

Track pieces with concave / convex ends, forming the sliding tracks for a
turntable?  The turntable track would be 80L long and the table would be
supported on a circle of inner radius blue or grey rails.  I suggest cutting a
straight in half but with a curved cut of 40L radius, using 2 cut straights and
4 normal straights on the table, with the other halves of the cut straights
forming the orthogonal roads leading away from the table.

A switch with a branch of 1 curve + 1 straight?  Then it would be the start of a
wider radius curve, 80ft with a curve on it or 120ft with a straight and a curve
in 8mm:1ft scale.  Can you estimate whether this is possible, given the number
of curve sleepers that are in the switch?

I was in an e-mail discussion with another track modifying friend and he was
thinking about a similar modification--for me the problem is cutting and adding
into the area between the two sets of rails on the switch--for me, that's way
outta my league at this time.  Anything after that crossover is open game for
me, but nothing before.

A switch that had 1 straight + 1 curve for the main line and 1 curve + 1
straight for the branch?  This would allow the two tracks to go through 90
degrees and become parallel 16L apart.  It would be the equivalent of the double
curved switch used in OO and HO layouts, which saves a lot of space by putting
the pointwork on the corners of the layout.

As above, you're modifying inside the 'danger zone' ;)

Wide radius curves that would replace 0.5S+C+0.5S or S+C+S with a smooth curve
of appropriate radius?  I think this would involve cutting and swapping lots of
pieces between straights and curves, but perhaps removing and bending the metal
pieces, rather than cutting them.  These smooth curves would allow my tilting
Pendolino train to go at a full 9 Volts, pulling about 1.2 Amps from my PSU and
doing about 90mph scale speed!  (at the moment it comes off at about 8 Volts
(80mph) on curves made from SCSSCSSCSSCS).

I remember the variable curved 3 foot sections of HO trian rails I had when I
was playing with HO as a kid--separations between the plasic ties every two
ties, alternating on each rail.  you could twist that rail into a sharp 'S' bend
if you so desired.  A somewhat more permanent idea for the LEGO track is to cut
between the ties on the inside rail, heat up the outside to just before the
melting point of plastic, and kind of 'stretch out' the piece.  Fill in the gaps
on the inside with other rail bits.  Something I may consider but not at this
time--I'm getting comfortable with what I've got going on now.

Just a few ideas for your experiments :-)

Mark Bellis

Thanks Mark.

Dave K