 Trains / 22730
RE: Custom Curved Switch in our layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:26:41 GMT

I had a question: I've nevered worked with hot glue before, how well would you
say it grips the ABS?

I've got one word for glue for ABS - Plastuct. You can get it at any hobby
shop. It's basically a solvent glue.

Hot glue grips fairly well, but doesn't really adhere to the ABS as much as
fill in spaces to make a solid joint. Cut away enough hot melt and the seam
just falls apart.

And here's a cool soldering tip - to avoid transferring too much heat down
the metal rails, get some flat copper or brass stock from your local
hobby shop and clamp to the metal rails using those bulldog clips for
loose leaf paper (or clothespins)

Clamp about 1/4" (6mm for Iain) away from either side of the joint. The
copper will take heat from the rails and keep it from going too far down
the track.

Just make sure you don't solder the copper to the rail!

Cheers, Ralph