 Trains / 22597
Re: Custom Curved Switch in our layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:15:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Joseph Woolley wrote:
I think we determined that the derail was caused the wheels being a
little too close together.  Even with the large flanges, the steam
engine would traverse the switch, if a small washer were used to keep
the big wheels a bit farther apart.

That's right, without extra washer it is too tight. so, one could either modify
the switch, but easier would be the use of washers (or if big wheels are used on
an axle, make it a bit more roomier.

Also, one correction, the switch track  (not my design)  off-leg equals
TWO curve track.  :)

oops, yup, that is right. when connecting the two off-shoots, a crossing will
fit perfectly on the ongoing straights, so you could make a number 8, and use
each loops seperately if you wish. so O O would become OXO

I especially like the way these can connect two inner loops to each
other. (i.e.  O O  becomes  O_O  )

// Joe

BrickBuy wrote:

We forgot to take clear pictures of them at our last show, but here is a
preview:

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jbucy/COLTC/Greenberg032004/dsc06483.jpg>>

As you can see, we used a custom modified switch (by Joe), of which the off-leg
equals 1 curved track. This can save a lot of space, and makes turns off of a
straight much more realistic. In the picture (upper left portion), compare the
custom switch (left) to the regular (right). I'm sure we'll get some better pics
soon.

At the show, we used two pairs. Trains had no problem with them, with the
exception of ones with custom designed big wheels (not BBB), like the steam
engine in the picture. I'll test BBB wheels with this switch soon. If need be, a
small modification can be made to the switch to accept these too.

Paul