 Trains / 22231
Re: The Improved and New Old Miller Gustav's Post Mill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 14:22:31 GMT

Much snippage.

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Manfred Moolhuysen wrote:
SNIP
Looks pretty good, Anthony. Good idea to use the boat ladders. Here is some
constructive critisim, which you can hopefully use to improove the design:

SNIP
With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

Once again Manfred, you inspire and urge me to improve myself.  You helped me
change my Village of Dahyart for the better, and now I hope you've helped me do
the same for my Post mill.

I think he has helped you a lot. Manfred's eye for detail and ability to
generate constructive suggestions is nothing short of amazing. (and that
database he pointed you at... what a labor of love! The people who did that must
really love windmills! There were over 1000 entries for just one German state!)

I hope that I've not over complicated the mill in such a way that I hurt it's
aesthetics.  Please be brutally honest.

I don't think you have, I think it's better.

I tried adding a ledge to the back wall as real Mills had, but it didnt look
right, so I scrapped it.

I think that's OK. Rooting around in that database (rather than doing my PDX
tasks! shame on me!) I found a few post mills that did not have such a front
skirt, or at least it seemed that way to me...

For example this 1880 vintage German one does not:

http://www.molendatabase.com/duitsland/molendb.php?step=details&nummer=487&formpw=&theme=&taal=engels

Although most of them did seem to, there are always exceptions.

I hope that I've been successful in improving my Mill.  After all, you can
overdo these things.

That is always a real danger but I do not think you have.

Thanks again for sharing your mill. It's very interesting and now that Manfred
provided that DB, I realise that it's of strong interest to townies/trainies as
well...  (hence my crosspost) I had no idea people were still building new post
mills in the late 1800s!

Now you need to mindstorms control so that the mill blades rotate and it
randomly shifts direction slightly as if it were responding to wind changes...
no wait, the miller does that... ok, the miller has to come out and push it...
well, that may be a bit much to do with one RCX. :-)