 Castle / 19173
Re: The Improved and New Old Miller Gustav's Post Mill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 23:13:53 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Manfred Moolhuysen wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
[snip]...I found a few post mills that did not have such a front
skirt, or at least it seemed that way to me...

For example this 1880 vintage German one does not:

http://www.molendatabase.com/duitsland/molendb.php?step=details&nummer=487&formpw=&theme=&taal=engels

Just for the record, Larry, I'm. not sure I agree with you. If you take a close
look to the picture (note the shadows) you would find that this mill has a
skirt, and that this particular instance is only exeptional for the fact that
the side walls also extend below the lower floor. Because they do so just as far
as the front wall reaches downwards, at first glance there seems to be no skirt
extension.

I'll buy that. What I did was spotted one that didn't have the front hanging
down lower (after seeing a lot that did) and assumed, "no skirt".

Functionally if all the sides hang down would that (aerodynamically) do  exactly
the same thing. Not sure. Probably, or near enough as to make no difference.

But I agree: when you're not able to make it look right in LEGO, you should not
do it. (would require some type of snot construction, don't you think, Larry?
:-)

Not sure if it's necessary. Maybe. But I'm no stranger to SNOT... it doesn't
scare me.