 Castle / 19169
19168  |  19170
Subject:
RCXing The Improved and New Old Miller Gustav's Post Mill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:20:54 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Much snippage.

Ditto

I think he has helped you a lot. Manfred's eye for detail and ability to
generate constructive suggestions is nothing short of amazing. (and that
database he pointed you at... what a labor of love! The people who did that must
really love windmills! There were over 1000 entries for just one German state!)

I hope that I've not over complicated the mill in such a way that I hurt it's
aesthetics.  Please be brutally honest.

I don't think you have, I think it's better.

Thanks much Larry :)  I'm glad you think I didn't overdo it.

I hope that I've been successful in improving my Mill.  After all, you can
overdo these things.

That is always a real danger but I do not think you have.

Thanks again for sharing your mill. It's very interesting and now that Manfred
provided that DB, I realise that it's of strong interest to townies/trainies as
well...  (hence my crosspost) I had no idea people were still building new post
mills in the late 1800s!

Now you need to mindstorms control so that the mill blades rotate and it
randomly shifts direction slightly as if it were responding to wind changes...
no wait, the miller does that... ok, the miller has to come out and push it...
well, that may be a bit much to do with one RCX. :-)

You're in luck Larry.

According to what I've read, during the 17 or 1800s, a new invention appeared
for Post Mills.  It was a small rotor attached to the back wall of the mill.
This rotor was placed perpendicular to the main rotor, and though I wasn't able
to figure it out, I assume this smaller rotor turned some gears.

So when the wind shifted, it would spin this perpendicular rotor, turn the
gears, rotate the mill to face the wind, and the small rotor would stop now that
the main rotor was facing the wind and not it (I would assume the roundhouse
would protect the smaller rotor from oncoming wind when it was facing the right
way).

And somewhere between the 1200s and 1800s, the post at the bottom of the mill
began to be encapsulated by a building for extra storage.  This would be an
excellent place to hide an RCX (unless you built a hollow hill, which would do
the same thing) though that my Mill would be too small for that.

So basically mindsorming the mill's rotor AND rotation wouldn't be an issue at
all.  Especially if you didnt plan to have it rotate more than say.. 90 degrees,
so that you could have a hollow center to the post mill for a motor wire to hang
from to power the main rotor.

Thanks for the reply Larry!  I'm glad you liked it, and I'm glad you didn't
think I went to far.

--Anthony