 Trains / 19369
19368  |  19370
Subject:
House layout (Was: Re: SAAB JAS 39 Gripen, step 1 - planning.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:26:17 GMT

Copy to: lugnet.trains
FUT: lugnet.trains

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane writes:
In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
In lugnet.technic, Anders Isaksson writes:

BTW, you should be careful with all that Lego planning, buying and so on,
you might suddenly have more room than you want in your (suddenly • single)
new apartment!

Hey, SHE is the one who wants tons of LEGO rail so my (our) train can pass • thru
all rooms...

I used to want a set-up like when I was younger.

I always wondered how to get the track (set at waist height) across open
doorways. Do you have a drawbridge or attach the track to the back of the
door. Either way you'd need an interlock to stop someone bursting in and
cutting your train in half. I suppose nowadays people go for those really high
ones that go over the door, but their so high how are you supposed to see
them?

A good compromise would be a shay or something. Some logging loco's had
friction drive for the flat and rack drive for the mountainous sections.
That way you could climb over doorways via a slope and then return to a
lower level for viewing.

Windows is also a problem, of course it can pass by the window but it's
inconvinient if they open inwards.

This system might also allow you take the train upstairs via the staircase.

Since it's a regular apartment there is no staircase :)

If someone did truly lay track all over the house you would have to cut
tunnels for the track to pass between rooms. I know a guy who's done this.
He cut two holes which link his layout in bedroom 1 to his marshalling yard
in bedroom 2 travelling across the landing between the two.

The idea was to drive through the doorways.

Besides I pay all the bills except the food so she can't complain, really.

Cushy Number :-)

Can someone that's not English impared translate that for me? I bet it's not
nice given the source and the smiley :)

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu