 Trains / 18109
Re: Pictures of SCLTC's Latest Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.scltc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:52:11 GMT

Very nice. Looks like a very impressive layout. Lots of great details.

Like my shark? =)

There's plenty more details which didn't make it onto the site, so I hope I
can get more images up!

However you might want to consider rearranging some of the graphics along
the top of your gallery pages so that the images fit onto an 800x600 (that's
the current design guideline resolution...) browser window that isn't full
screen but allows for the button bar at bottom, without needing to scroll
each time.

I find a mousewheel quite useful in such situations! I've been to some
galleries where the prev/next options are on the bottom after high-res
images. Talk about scrolling!

The images themselves are 640x480, easily viewable at that resolution but
the height of the main control area, title area and next/prev/index area
below it mean that you have to scroll each window down to see the image, but
by just a hundred or two pixels or so. That's just enough scrolling to be
quite annoying. (it's worse than if you had to scroll the whole page, >actually)

I personally think that people who use 800x600 surrender themselves to a lot
of scrolling, anyway =(. My gallery concepts were borrowed from PNLTC and
Brickshelf, and I'm also trying to keep that title bar intact on every page.
(They seem to suffer from low-res issues too, but I'm not complaining!) I
might try to put the prev/next buttons and the gallery title in that, if I
get the chance, to save room.

Since what people tend to want to do is flick through these, when the user
has to scroll down, you've either broken their flow, or ensured that they're
going to not bother looking at the bottom, neither of which is good.
Presumably you want people to marvel at the whole image and do so in such a
way that they're also impressed by your web design skills (since you've put
your name at the bottom)...

My name is at the bottom so the web comments aren't mistakenly directed at
another member who isn't familiar with what I've done! =)

Good web design takes smaller resolution screens into account, and uses that
thinking to help the user work efficiently. Remember, not everyone has the
resolution you do on your development box.

1280x1024? I almost can't stand 1024x768 these days...

Hope that helps. Again, absolutely stunning pictures, and I've spotlighted
your post, SCLTC club members can be quite proud of this layout I'm sure.

Thanks! We sure are proud of our first multi-dimensional layout. (As if my
8-foot tall building isn't a breach of the 3rd dimension!)
www.scltc.org/pages/galleries/shows/02.05.04fullertonlayout.htm?10

I've begun to use all sorts of interesting measures to map these out
before-hand, from isometric renders to multi-layered Track Designer files!

- Thomas