 Trains / Train Organizations / SCLTC / 104
Re: Pictures of SCLTC's Latest Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.scltc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 05:52:05 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Thomas Michon writes:
Pictures of the Southern California LEGO Train Club's latest show are online
at www.scltc.org.

These pictures show a LOT more than the teaser, so don't think you saw
everything the first time!

Deep link: www.scltc.org/pages/galleries/shows/02.10.12discoverylayout.htm

Very nice. Looks like a very impressive layout. Lots of great details.

However you might want to consider rearranging some of the graphics along
the top of your gallery pages so that the images fit onto an 800x600 (that's
the current design guideline resolution...) browser window that isn't full
screen but allows for the button bar at bottom, without needing to scroll
each time.

The images themselves are 640x480, easily viewable at that resolution but
the height of the main control area, title area and next/prev/index area
below it mean that you have to scroll each window down to see the image, but
by just a hundred or two pixels or so. That's just enough scrolling to be
quite annoying. (it's worse than if you had to scroll the whole page, actually)

Since what people tend to want to do is flick through these, when the user
has to scroll down, you've either broken their flow, or ensured that they're
going to not bother looking at the bottom, neither of which is good.
Presumably you want people to marvel at the whole image and do so in such a
way that they're also impressed by your web design skills (since you've put
your name at the bottom)...

Good web design takes smaller resolution screens into account, and uses that
thinking to help the user work efficiently. Remember, not everyone has the
resolution you do on your development box.

Hope that helps. Again, absolutely stunning pictures, and I've spotlighted
your post, SCLTC club members can be quite proud of this layout I'm sure.

XFUT .trains

++Lar