 Trains / 15579
Re: The "Unknown" Santa Fe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:50:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Allan Bedford writes:

This may sound a bit snotty, so I apologize in advance.  But I honestly feel
this way:

I hope you don't take my response as snotty either. It's meant to illustrate
a point...

If you never open it, how can you have any fun with it?

It's way easy to have fun with a MISB set.

I have a MISB 4558. I have lots of other 4558s... so many that I can build
whatever I might want to build, so I'm not missing the use of the pieces in
that particular 4558. But that particular 4558 is the VERY FIRST LOT that
Serious Collector (a great auction site run by a good friend and fan, no
longer in operation, which I miss dearly (the site, not the friend)).

I have fun telling the story (at the many fests, club meetings, and just
friendly get togethers that I participate in, and I participate in a LOT) of
how I got it and of what it means to me, and I have fun looking at it
without ever needing to open it up and play with it. I have fun knowing that
it's a special set. Opening it would destroy that. If someday after my
demise one of my great grandchildren decides to open it, great.

I have an unopened Airport Shuttle with an interesting provenance as well,
and I have an unopened Message Intercept Base with a *very* interesting
provenance (it came to me from the South Pacific!!! of all the places!!! ).
I'm probably never going to open them. Don't need to open them to get lots
and lots of enjoyment out of having them.

I personally can't imagine not opening any LEGO set I buy.  I don't own any
unopened sets, that would feel too much like collecting.  I guess I've
always seen LEGO as a participation hobby.  :)

I think that's a fine viewpoint.

Just not the only viewpoint. I'm as participatory as the next guy but I
still have MISB sets in my collection. And yes, I have a "collection"... of
sets, of parts and of unsorted piles of things that need attention.

To each his own. I open MOST of my sets but not all. I'm not trying to be
snotty, just to show that there are other reasons to do things. And maybe
just maybe, even holding on to things as an investment can be seen as a
hobby in its own right (not a very prudent one, mind you)...

The point:

So don't take it as snotty but there's nothing wrong with collecting if
that's what you enjoy doing. This hobby has lots of ways to enjoy, and we
should cheer each other on, whatever the ways, even if we don't personally
want to do them.

<snip>

It's not for sure but it's sure the way I'd bet based on what I've heard and
inferred. It shouldn't be TOO long anyway.

Well, I should have waited for you to post yours, because I just wrote the
same basic message.  I agree completely with this sentiment, even though
I only have 2.5 4558's, and none of them are MISB, and a mostly "complete"
6399 Airport Shuttle....obviously not MISB.  These are a ton of fun, and
I'd hate for someone to have just an MISB set just to collect it....
I especially enjoy monorail stuff.  (I did have a MISB??? monorail expansion
set, 6349, with the cool monorail points, but opened it completely to
try out the points....) :)

I do have a handfull ??? of unopened sets, some of which I only have one of...
:( but I also can smile in that I have gotten that set, and in the case of
the Sante Fe (if I don't open it) can give it away later in life to a
possible family member who I know will appreciate it a lot more than any
seller or collector.  I am really not in the business of selling lego.
Most of the stuff I sell (not get rid of) is largely excess.  (Case in Point:
5 metroliner cabs, when I will use 2 on the train system....maybe 0 (who
knows), and a couple for some mocs......again I don't really know at this
point.

Besides, at the moment I am more into the traditional MOC building anyways.
I want to finish a downtown core setting in 4 years or less.  And hopefully
by then, Shop @ Home will have upgraded its bulk selection.

sorry for the rant, and slightly boring personal anecdotes...

Benjamin Medinets