 Trains / 15587
Re: The "Unknown" Santa Fe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 02:21:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benjamin Medinets writes:
<snipping most of the article, sorry allan>

I guess you are right in what you are saying about lego being a participating
hobby.  However.  I really don't think there is anything wrong >with "collecting Lego"

Neither do I.  I didn't suggest it was wrong, only that I was curious why
some folks like to keep sets unopened.  It's a really hard concept for me to
get my little brain around.  :)

so I do have several unopened sets...but I'd say 90 to 95% of my
collection falls into the opened/played with section.

100% for me, but then who's counting?

I am going to have to figure out if the "limited edition" model I get
will be opened, whether I'll have to order another one to "play with", or
wait for a couple months for the unlimited edition to come out to play with
it..... very interesting, but confusing proposition.  Especially since it
costs 40 US (75 CDN).

I suppose that's one thing that really brings up this issue for me with this
particular set.  I'm really interested in getting one.... despite the $75
price tag.  So, in my mind, getting it on spec or to display as a showpiece
(without ever taking off the plastic) is a tough pill to swallow.  Plus, I
think well-designed sets like this are best when you get to show them off.
One copy will someday grace my desk at work.  If there is ever a second
copy, I think it will look good sitting on the entertainment center next to
Vader's Tie Fighter.  Hardly a matched set, but both good models.

All the best,
Allan B.