 Trains / 15598
Re: The "Unknown" Santa Fe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:37:40 GMT

Allan Bedford wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Musil writes:

I think that the train registry for the 10020 is a great idea!  When I got
my first three sets, I quickly opened all of the sets to see the numbers,
but then after posting the sets numbers, on the Internet
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=12973>, I quickly realized
that I decreased the value of the set by opening the "Limited Edition" set.

I guess this begs the question.  Did you buy them to enjoy them or to make
money from them?  I'm not judging, I'm just saying that if you bought them
for yourself, to build and enjoy, then I think it's fantastic that you've
opened them.  I think this *increases* the value... for you.  And I think
that's the most important thing.

<snip>

I hate to be the grammar police, but this is one of my new pet peeves. I
believe you mean that Allan's comments -prompt- your question. To beg
the question means to -avoid- the question, or else to use your own
conclusion as the basis for an argument.

Of course, it is possible that you felt that his comments -were-
avoiding the question of his motivation for buying the sets, in which
case, I'll shut up, except to say that such confusion is the reason many
grammarians discourage the use of the "avoid" definition of "beg the
question."

FUT lugnet.off-topic.debate, because there's no
lugnet.off-topic.nitpickers. ;-)

Rick Clark

Completely unrelated to this thread, but as long as were in
off-topic.grammar:
My number one pet peeve: "Hehe" is not a word! If you're giggling, it's
spelled "hee hee," and if chuckling, it's "heh heh."