 Trains / 15596
Re: The "Unknown" Santa Fe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 03:53:48 GMT

"Allan Bedford" <apotomeREMOVE-THIS@altavista.net> wrote in message
news:GsHAKM.F9w@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, Benjamin Medinets writes:
<snipping most of the article, sorry allan>

I guess you are right in what you are saying about lego being a • participating
hobby.  However.  I really don't think there is anything wrong >with • "collecting Lego"

Neither do I.  I didn't suggest it was wrong, only that I was curious why
some folks like to keep sets unopened.  It's a really hard concept for me • to
get my little brain around.  :)

[ ... snipped ... ]

Four years ago when I first re-discovered this hobby the thought of not
opening a set would have never occurred to me.  The thought of buying 10
copies of a particular set for one or two parts wouldn't have occurred to me
either.  As I read posts on LUGNET I would shake my virtual head and wonder.

I categorize my unopened sets as follows:

1)  Sets I bought with the intention of parting out but simply never got
around to it.  I have some Divers sets I picked up a Tuesday Morning two
years ago that I simply never go to.  They are out in my garage on top of a
box.  At this point I probably won't part them out as they have become more
interesting as complete sets for another purpose (see #3 below).

2)  Sets I plan to share with my kids later on.  Most of these are Paradisa
sets that I have managed to pick up along the way.  My five year old
daughter is getting into LEGO but she still doesn't have the same zeal for
it that my son has had since he was three or four (he is seven now).  At
some point I will break out a Paradisa set and see how she reacts (she and I
built this on Sunday -
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=12886).

3)  Sets that don't particularly interest me but I bought them because (a)
the price was attractive and (b) I believe that I can trade and/or sell the
set and obtain something I do want in return.  I do a lot of this (although
not as much as I used to) to help offset the cost of this hobby.

I got my first Metroliner this way.  At the time Metroliners were selling
for $350 or so on a regular basis.  I wasn't going to pay that but I did
have a set that someone wanted and we worked out a trade.  My actual cost
for my first Metroliner was probably about $175 (seems expensive now but at
the time seemed like a bargain).

4)  Sets I am going to hold on to for collectors sake.  I'll admit I have
some of these.  I have purchased six of the 10020 Santa Fe sets.  I have
opened four of them and two have gone on the shelf.  Will I ever open them?
I don't know.  If I need the parts for something I will but until I need
them, there is no reason to open them.  Why buy them if I don't need them?
Because the parts in them may never be available again. Silly I suppose but
that is how my mind works.

Probably enough for now ...

Mike

PS:  Why do I feel like I am committing a great LEGO sin when I part out a
train set but I can part out Star Wars sets without one bit of remorse?

http://www.ncltc.cc - North Carolina LEGO Trainc Club
http://www.carolinatrainbuilders - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot

Well now I have all kinds of unopened sets lying around. A lot of them fall
into the second category (bought for some specific parts) but never got
opened.  I simply never got to them.  At some point, some of these sets
become more interesting as sets again than they do as the parts I was going
to break them into.