 Trains / 15586
Re: The "Unknown" Santa Fe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 02:08:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.trains, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Musil writes:

I guess this begs the question.  Did you buy them to enjoy them or to make
money from them?  I'm not judging, I'm just saying that if you bought them
for yourself, to build and enjoy, then I think it's fantastic that you've
opened them.  I think this *increases* the value... for you.  And I think
that's the most important thing.

I got the call and... *sigh*... it's a losing battle....

I must be missing some inside joke.  Anyone care to fill me in?

Which brings me to my question.
Is the "Unknown" set kept unopened worth more than a known number??  I would
have to say yes.  Why?  1) This is the first ever numbered limited edition
sets!!  2) Lego has said that they will produce more sets without the
limited edition numbering scheme.  3) The set is a great set, but a higher
sought after set with the limited edition numbering scheme.
So, I believe the next six that I have ordered  (Three on Feb.28th and three
on March 1st) will remain in the box...unopened.

This may sound a bit snotty, so I apologize in advance.  But I honestly feel
this way:

If you never open it, how can you have any fun with it?

I personally can't imagine not opening any LEGO set I buy.  I don't own any
unopened sets, that would feel too much like collecting.  I guess I've
always seen LEGO as a participation hobby.  :)

This too may sound a bit snotty, but when I first got into LEGO I couldn't
afford to even buy a single copy of every set I would have liked to have
(it's true! I'm NOT Paradisa complete!).  It's only in the past few years that
my circumstances have improved to the point where I pretty much can.  So if I
like a set I buy at least one to open and one to keep (sometimes two since I
have two kids).  It's one of the perq's of getting older (along with your face
not breaking out anymore) and I'm darned well going to enjoy it.

I'm also enjoying some of the perks of adulthood.  But I'm still in the dark
about not opening LEGO sets.  The curiousity would drive me crazy.  I've
bought multiple copies of the same set before, but the tingly feeling that
comes with opening each box never goes away for me.

<snip> ...I'm sure I won't be able
to order before the 'numbered' ones are gone, so I'd be glad to know that
I'll be able to get a copy of the set anyway.  It matters not in the least
to me that it won't be numbered or limited.

But suppose you DID want a numbered one and either didn't have the means now,
or are currently in a dark age and don't even know about the set, but say three
years from now you suddenly experience a LEGO renaissance and greatly desire
one of these limited edition sets. [apologies for run-on sentence]

Which was exactly why I argued against the limited edition concept in this
thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=15184

This train/engine/locomotive (take your pick) is a great set.  A truly
well-designed, fully realized LEGO set.  It didn't need the gimic of
'Limited Edition'.  It deserves a long and healthy production run.  In my
most humble of opinions the 'Limited Edition' concept cheapened this set, it
didn't enhance it in any way.  I suspect I'm one of the few who feels this
way, but then that wouldn't be a first.  :)

Then
because there are those who will hang onto MISB copies, you may have a shot at
one.

At the original list price, of course.  ;)

I'm a stickler for wanting to buy straight from the company (or their
authorized agents) whenever possible.  Nothing against those who buy LEGO
off eBay (I've done it.... once) or other private sites, but it's just not
for me.

Maggie C.
Lugnet #136 (Shell Tanker wagon!)

Allan B.
Retired LUGNET member #166.... which I just checked and found out is a train
set!!! And here I am, not a train fan.  Anyone want my number?

FUT appropriate group

If you can tell me which one that is, I'd be happy to follow along.  :)

As it is, I'm scared to reply to most messages, as I'm never sure which
group is for what topic on what day of the week and whether or not the
original post was in the appropriate group which may then lead to my
follow-up being submitted to the similarly wrong group.  [There, how's that
for a run on sentence]