 Trains / 14238
Re: train idea book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:17:50 GMT

I think this is a great idea, but there is a reason why there aren't a few
of these out already. Here are some hard questions/comments...

Costs:
The printing cost for a 64 page book 11-1/2" x 11" is ~$27.00 ($0.39/page +
$2.00 binding) from a copy center at bulk rates. Shipping is cheep but still
an additional $0.50ea.

Selection Committee:
Who chooses which MOCs go in? Is there going to be a selection committee or
does Chris as editor make that choice? (Maybe list all nominated MOCs one a
website and have a web vote.)

Labor:
An LDraw file is not instructions. An LDraw file with steps is still not
instructions. Each step needs to be rendered and then imported into a layout
application then numbering, callouts, arrows... all need to be added. A
guestimate would be about 4 hours per MOC once some has the process down,
just to lay it out, assuming the steps are clear.

Side Note: When I did the BricWorx instructions I had several people of
various ages and experience levels build the MOC from the instructions and
watched. It took about 3 iterations before it was buildable with no
stumbling points.

So assuming 25 MOCs that would take about 100 hours of layout time, assuming
the steps are clear.

SteveB