 Trains / 14223
Re: train idea book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:33:52 GMT

This seems as good as a place as any to reply to.  Thanks to everyone
who replied via email and on this board with their designs and support.

James J. Trobaugh wrote:
I've posted this idea in the past also, but just haven't had the time or the
"fire under my a@@" to do it. But I think it would be a great idea, there
are a lot of great designs floating around here in LUGNET and putting them
into one collection would be super.

I would also like it to be a showcase of the clubs.  Remember how the
LEGO idea books had photo's of the idea book creations on a 'real'
layout?  as in this one?

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/7000/7777/7777-50.html

This is how I would like to have a lot of the book set up.

What I invisioned was a real bound book with a CD included that had the
ldraw files for the designs.

Interesting.   I was envisioning a bound 9x12" book with glossy
cardstock cover, stapled on the fold.  Probably only 64 pages, so it
would be similar to a LEGO idea book.

I think a book like this would be a big seller at trains shows. I know some
clubs are nervous about selling stuff at their displays, but the price of
one vendor table could quickly be recovered by the sales IMO.

Agreed.  How many times do you hear a show visitor say "these are your
own designs?  I could never build that!"  You could then refer them to
the idea book...   instant fundraising.  Another option instead of a
vendor table would be to partner up with a friendly hobbyshop exhibiting
at the show.

-chris