 Trains / 13778
  Brickish Railways newcomer

Hi Despite the fact that I play with trains all day at work I have finally given up resisting the lure of Lego ones. I have just taken delivery of a Small My Own Train and a wagon plate kit so I can look into how it all works and I have a few (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) Just take a look at the instruction of 2126. It works with the same design, that you should use. (URL) Regards, Ben My homepage: (URL) no. 1 building contest: (URL) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) Thanks Ben, that's really useful and thank you for taking the time to find it for me but... aaargh that's horrible. I hope no-one in .trains takes this the wrong way but buffer beams are attached to the solebar of a rail vehicle, not the bogie (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) In Real Life, yes. But examine other tight radius model railway systems and you find the same compromise, the couplers go on the trucks. This gives poor performance in reverse, but allows tight curves without easements where body mounted (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) Lego trains arn't horrible (mayby ZNAP and BuyOnickles are) ;-) (...) As long as we have these narrow curve radius we have to attach the buffers to the bogies to bring them through the curves. (I can live with that). (...) I agree, but you (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) Depends. If you want it to include a motor, try putting a 2x2 turntable on the back of the motor, then two 1x4 or 1x6 tiles just on the edge of the turntable, and attach another wheelblock to that, trailing behind the motor. If this isn't (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) It is very workable... I can't rattle off the URLs but I think several US prototype 6 axle locos have been done that use this sliding center wheel idea on their dummy trucks. Christopher Tracey??? Tom Cook? Not sure who. But it's in this group (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) For e.g. the German 8-wide HoMa has done it: (URL) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) But I suspect that, given the height to the studs on top of the wheelblocks, these bogeys are taller than normal. Either that, or they don't pivot anywhere over the centre wheel. Not that either of these is a major problem. Jason J Railton (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) Another idea is to provide rotation in the middle of the truck ... I did something along these lines for my German Railway Gun: (URL) this case, two of the axles are fixed with respect to each other, and the third is allowed to pivot. A (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) (URL) the same DESERT EXPRESS project) STILL is something to stare at for long periods and get ideas from, even after some time has went by (was this 1999 or 2000 or earlier this year that this burst upon the scene, I forget...) If you like (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) That looks really neat. I'm pretty sure I've seen something like that in use on a real loco somewhere. Psi (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) EMD steerable truck? That's recent and improves running performance on 6 axle locos. Doesn't bend as much as the ones we do of course. I used a variant on this idea (ball and socket parts rather than the roundend plate and pin) in my Big Red, (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) It is now nearly 1 year old: it has been published first in late 2000 and displayed then first time to the public at our christmas-train meeting in the airport of Braunschweig: (URL) this picture the train is set to the track (Homa is the man (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) hi Larry, nice to read, that the Desert Express still is in mind of some AFOLs on the web. I build the loco as close to the real picture which is also in the gallery. I have no idea, if it's an american loco. The Desert Express operates in (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) They probably almost certainly did not build them. Building diesels is non trivial. That loco just LOOKS North American to me, it well could be an export model. I want to say it looked Alcoish but I could be wrong. (...) And a great first (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) All inclusive: flight, Hotel and of course the trip on the real Desert Express. (...) I contacted them after reading about the DX for the first time in the newspaper (Aug. 2000) and I asked for some colored pictures, because there was just an (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Brickish Railways newcomer

(...) I did a sliding center wheel set for a dummy SD locomotive, and a pivoting end wheel set for a powered SD locomotive (URL) (23 years ago, 1-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)