 Trains / 12535
  9v vs 12v

I am just getting back into Lego after a very very long hiatus. The recent photos from Brickfest and GATS have inspired me to invest in some Lego trains, so much so that I am selling off a sizable portion of my N-scale collection to finance the new (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) Welcome aboard Henry, I believe I can answer your questions. First of all, 9V is the current system being offered by LEGO®. What 12V stuff you may find will be at auction on Ebay or being sold through Brickbay at very high prices, (it's been (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) I agree. Go with 9v. However. Don't listen to Henry there. :-) Wait a month and get set 10001. Most people think #4561 is juniorized junk. (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) That is certainly true, but we don't even know if 10001 will include the speed regulator as of yet. By the way, Harvey suggested that Henry get the 4561-not the other way around. When I had my 4561, I still managed to build a small shunting (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) I think you will find that it doesn't. If you look at the box cover in the set database, you will see that the regulator is not shown as included, but is crossed out meaning you need to get it separately. (...) I'm not getting into this (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) Additionally, 4558 did not have the regulator (which is presumably why the picture of the 4548 box for the regulator has a picture of the Metroliner on it). 4561 does have some good parts, just ignore the instructions.... I would like to (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) 4561 is a good parts set and if you want something NOW it's a good choice. You may be able to find it for less than list too. Check various web sites or your local Target which sometimes has them on sale. (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) OK, so if I understand this correctly, the track for 9V and 12V is actually the same gauge, the difference is purely electrical? (...) These sound like pretty nice features to have. Do either 9V or 12V have any type of Command Control type (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) See this post from yesterday on train compatibility for more information: (URL) >- The 12V system has electrical accessories which 9V doesn't have: (...) No command control, though a few folks have adapted DCC for 9V use (it would work equally (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) I personally rather have the power sidings and use signals to control the movement of the trains. Layouts shown in the 7777 train book are generally impossible to recreate in a 9V layout because the sidings need power in order to run more (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v vs 12v

(...) (you may only need an extra track power connector). Of course given an unlimited budget, I could create a much more enjoyable layout with 12V and be pure since the signal track is very flexible. Ultimately though I think the way to go is to be (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jul-01, to lugnet.trains)