 Trains / 12453
Re: APT tilts thru curves in Real-Build ABS form
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 01:42:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
In lugnet.trains, Iain Hendry writes:
"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote
1) The train cars do indeed tilt through curves.  The pendular
axis of rotation is just below the roof-line; thus, the car bodies
swing "out" rather than tip "in". I'm not sure that is the best
way to describe this motion???

That seems to make sense. CN's original "Turbo" exhibited this...

I'm actually very ignorant as to how the real APT tilts...

That's really amazing! That's fantastic you're able to fit
the hardware into such a compact space.

The mechanism is really quite simple...

Like many things - it's simple once you know how.  It's the figuring
it out the first time and/or having the original idea that is the
difficult/challenging/interesting part.

Is that the appr. maximum tilt angle achievable? I'm very
intrigued by your pendular mechanism. :)

<snip>

Again, James, you amaze me! Thanks for sharing your brilliant work.

I must echo this sentiment - this is amazing work.  While typical LEGO
creations are of some interest, making something new that's never been
done before - particularly to solve a "problem" of some kind (like this) -
is what _really_ interests me!   Hence my first and only LEGO arches,
http://216.18.91.29/SRC/LEGO/Arches  and being the first (AFAIK) to
make monorail spirals.   This kind of innovation doesn't seem to have much
impact on "the masses" though.  It's a bit disappointing when others don't
seem to share ones enthusiasm for something when you think they would.

I applaud your creativity and am interested in Technic-al engineering
details.  :-)    By the way, the alternate mono-rail car attachment
method - am I remembering that correctly as yours too?

SRC
LUGNet#765
http://216.18.91.29/SRC