 Trains / 11911
Re: APT tilts thru curves in Real-Build ABS form
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:56:16 GMT

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message

1) The train cars do indeed tilt through curves.  The pendular axis of
rotation is just below the roof-line; thus, the car bodies swing "out"
rather than tip "in". I'm not sure that is the best way to describe this
motion???

That seems to make sense. CN's original "Turbo" exhibited this
characteristic; today, the TALGO tilting trainsets also tilt this way. I
don't know of a lot of passive systems able to tilt inward; but I think that
ABB's trapezoidal linkage leans more toward the centre, while remaining
inherently passive...

(does that make sense? From a physics standpoint, maybe it doesnt...! I'm
not sure.)

3) The height of the train is equivalent to a standard official LEGO
passenger train.

That's really amazing! That's fantastic you're able to fit the hardware into
such a compact space.

I found it a little difficult to photograph the tilt.  I hope some of the
pictures convey that it really is tilting!

I supose this picture exhibits it the best:

Is that the appr. maximum tilt angle achieveable? I'm very intrigued by your
pendular mechanism. :)

Again, James, you amaze me! Thanks for sharing your brilliant work.

    Iain