 Trains / 11967
Re: APT yellow-red 73degree slope stripe SNOT construction (was Re: APT tilts thru curves in Real-Build)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:29:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Warren writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
In lugnet.trains, Sam Hastings writes:

I have now built a second motor unit with pantagraph and another passenger car.
The set now has 8 cars total.  This train is going to "eat" quantity 68
train windows!  Good thing they're blue.  This is the longest train I've
ever tried to run.  Each train car is at least 33 studs long.  Total length
of the assemble 8-car APT set is 285 studs.  I run the 8-car set with two 9v
motors in one of the power unit cars and one 9v motor in the second power
unit car.
I still get some 9v motor wheel slippage when the entire 8-car set is
completely embedded in a series of crazy s-curves.  I think adding more
weight to the power unit cars will help maintain 9v motor traction.  I'm
also using pretty old 9v train motors that have seen quite a bit of
run-time.  Prior to installation into the APT, one of these 9v train motors
was suffering with the over-heating "shut-down" problem. I haven't seen the
motor shut-down, yet; unless the other two motors are push-pulling the
"dead" motor and I can't tell that it's shut down (??)
Three new 9v train motors would probably be nice.

later,
James Mathis

Thanks for the building tip.  Gotta just love your building ingenuity.

I certainly can't take credit for this; I'm sure other folks have done it
before me!  Just a matter of timing and awareness as to where the idea shows
up.  It's a good construction technique; one that I had to use because I
don't own any inverse 73 degree slopes in red.  Otherwise I would have used
a straight-up studs-up approach to the yellow/red sloping stripe interface.

These tips definitely save me a lot of time trying to figure out how to
incorporate these techniques.

That's what I like to hear!  Now that you've saved brain-power on that
issue, I'm sure that seeing and understanding this construction technique
will allow you to realize further evolutionary- even revolutionary!-
techniques.  I always say that I learned "how to build" from LEGO's official
instructions.

Man, that's one long train.  Sure hope you
don't have any inclines on your layout.  The decline of power on inclines
are one of lego trains worst weaknesses next to the building disadvantages
of steep curves.

When the entire 8-car set is in a series of crazy-S-curves, the train just
creeps at full-throttle with three 9v train motors.  The crazy-S-curves are
on a very slight incline, as well.  It's painful to watch.  :-(
The train maitains good speed, in my opinion, through "normal and
reasonable" track configurations.  It negotiates switches and crossings well.

I have yet to lay out a length of straight track that is at least 3 to 4
times as long as the train.  I would like to see how well the set can enter
both a 90 degree curve and a 180 degree curve after gaining speed through a
long straight section.

For me, a train set really isn't good unless it can negotiate any track
geometry; but, oh those tight radius curves make this difficult at times!
It doesn't necessarily have to be able to negotiate any track geometry at
top speed.  The original Metroliner set couldn't do that, could it?

It totally amazes me how fast you put all of these great
train designs out for our viewing pleasure.

I just love to build!  It's sometimes hard to keep the bricks up to speed.  ;-)
Churning out ideas has become must faster with the use of LDRAW and MLCAD.
I can at least get the basic concept illustrated.  Even if the CAD design is
somewhat flawed, the overall intended design preserves the concept for later
revision in a real-build with the brick.
I should note that the rate of new designs is probably somewhat skewed in
the public presentation due to time-available and the flow of ideas.  I used
to date stamp the new models when I loaded them to my personal website.  Now
that I use The Brickshelf as the primary depository, I have stopped that.
Your comment urges me to document the creation date in a text page or embed
the date on at least one of the uploaded images.  Thanks!

later,
James Mathis