 Trains / 11958
Re: APT yellow-red 73degree slope stripe SNOT construction (was Re: APT tilts thru curves in Real-Build)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:15:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
In lugnet.trains, Sam Hastings writes:
Cool! I love your train and the detail - I live in England and it
immediately struck me as a british style train. Any plans to build
instructions? I want to know how to make the 'tilted' red stripe (near the
front) - or did you not have it tilted? The best photo with this on you had
was quite 'awkward'!

Sam Hastings

Sam (and interested others):
Here is the method I employed to flip the red 73 degree slope studs-down to
interface agains the studs-up yellow 73 degree slope.

I used a similar construction in the 17xx Dutch locomotive to flip the front
windscreen studs-down:

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
See this APT in ABS at:

I hope to be able to make another "non-driving motor" and another "trailer
second", or perhaps the "restaurant/buffet first" car.  I think an 8 unit
real-build LEGO version of the APT might be near the limit of this
simultaneous push-pull configuration with the 9v motors in the middle of the
set.

I have now built a second motor unit with pantagraph and another passenger car.
The set now has 8 cars total.  This train is going to "eat" quantity 68
train windows!  Good thing they're blue.  This is the longest train I've
ever tried to run.  Each train car is at least 33 studs long.  Total length
of the assemble 8-car APT set is 285 studs.  I run the 8-car set with two 9v
motors in one of the power unit cars and one 9v motor in the second power
unit car.
I still get some 9v motor wheel slippage when the entire 8-car set is
completely embedded in a series of crazy s-curves.  I think adding more
weight to the power unit cars will help maintain 9v motor traction.  I'm
also using pretty old 9v train motors that have seen quite a bit of
run-time.  Prior to installation into the APT, one of these 9v train motors
was suffering with the over-heating "shut-down" problem. I haven't seen the
motor shut-down, yet; unless the other two motors are push-pulling the
"dead" motor and I can't tell that it's shut down (??)
Three new 9v train motors would probably be nice.

later,
James Mathis
Thanks for the building tip.  Gotta just love your building ingenuity.
These tips definitely save me a lot of time trying to figure out how to
incorporate these techniques.  Man, that's one long train.  Sure hope you
don't have any inclines on your layout.  The decline of power on inclines
are one of lego trains worst weaknesses next to the building disadvantages
of steep curves.  It totally amazes me how fast you put all of these great
train designs out for our viewing pleasure.  Once again I say "kudos" you
are the man.
John W.