 Trains / 1175
Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 22:14:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Simon Denscombe writes:
This is a great train.  Well designed and looks realistic.  Another time
where James has pushed LEGO to it's limits.

Why is one coach 1/3 of a brick higher than the rest of the train?
Why did you decide not to have wheels in the centre?

--
Carbon 60
ICQ # 5643170

No good nor easy reason for the 1/3 brick height difference other than the fact
that the 1/4-top curved bricks are 4/3 brick tall and I needed to accommodate
the height requirements resulting from the front end cab structure.  The front
and rear cars are slightly different since one uses 1/4-top curved bricks and
the other uses gray complex angle "train" cab roof pieces.  I could have
matched the roof lines between the central car with red doors and the end car
with 1/4-top curved gray bricks, but that result in other offenses to the
design, such as no white stripe between the top of the black windows and the
bottom of the gray 1/4-top curved bricks.  Or, I could have increased the
height of the central car.  This would have resulted in a subtle height
mismatch with the end car with the complex angle roof.  One or the other.  I
picked one....or, was it the other that I picked.

I decided not to have wheels in the center car because I think the photo of the
real-life BOB car with red doors does not have wheels.

Thanks for studying the LEGO BOB model and asking these questions.

later,
James Mathis