 Trains / 1159
Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 16:57:50 GMT

James,

Nice train, I like it!
I think I'll make one for my next show.
Maybe I will use the parts from that new
thing the TLG calls the Railway Express(4561).
It has a lot of those 4x3 clear wall part that
would make nice windows for this kind of
train.

Good work, See Ya...
Robin

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
I have finally had some time to build with LEGO.
This time I've found a
friend, and his name is BOB, oder: "Die
Bayerische Oberlandbahn".

BOB is a German passenger train.  A friend of
mine recently traveled to
Germany and returned with a brochure about
BOB.

I have attempted to model BOB with LEGO.
BOB feature set:
- three cars:  one motor unit, one middle passenger
car, and opposite end
control unit
- middle car has no wheel sets: protruding tabs
from middle car insert
into tiled ports on each end control car
- car coupling:  no gaps between cars on straight-
aways. no magnets. uses
rubber bands ala Steve Barile's very cool EP2
Electric locomotive. see
http://www.pnltc.org/Gal_engines.htm
- color scheme:  white, blue, red, black, and gray
- roofs easily remove for access to passenger and
driver compartments
- uses LOTS of 1/4 top-curved bricks in gray and
some in red and white
- needs more blue 45 degree inverse slopes (20 of
'em!)  Anyone?  ;-)
- steep angle control car front and rear windows

Please visit images of the real BOB, and my
LEGO model via:

http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/legopage.html

later,
James Mathis