 Trains / 1151
Re: Triangle Area Interests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:36:43 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:
I would also like to get a train and I suspect I will probably pick up
either a 4565 or 4559 sometime in the near future.  I might even get both.
Last year we borrowed a train from Grandpa (a very nice LGB) to run around
the Christmas tree.  Seems like a perfect excuse to buy a train!

If I was to buy just a single train, I'd think about the the S@H 3225
(using their "train set" deal). The 4565 is also a good choice, but you
have to add a power pack which adds about another $45. If you think you
want to dive into trains in a big way, I'd get S@H 2126, S@H 3225, 4565,
and a bunch of track.

4559 is an ok addition, but it's a little weird. The 1st car is a
"trailer" and there is no rear coupler supplied, so another $16.50 of
S@H bits are required to turn it into a decent train (2x5304 to add a
2nd wheelset to the engine, and finish the 1st car, 2x5305 to add
couplers to the rear of the train and to the engine and front of the 1st
car (includes enough to also add a front coupler to the engine if
desired), 1x5302 for the extra wheelsets). You'll also need some
miscelaneous parts (like some yellow technic parts to make a way for the
trucks to mount to the engine. I've seriously debated getting a 2nd 4559
so I could mix the parts together to make a better train. Then one could
build an engine on one of the drop center plates and make 3 cars. Of
course one would still have to buy some extra couplers (I would probably
make the engine a dual motor engine so no extra wheelsets or bogie
plates would be needed). Of course a host of other parts are needed to
make the cars look like something real...

What I've got myself is:
4585
4559
3225
2126
2xK4520 *
2x4515  *
5305    **
2x5542  (yea, it's not train, but it comes with 4 black train doors and
2 yellow train windows)

*  I decided this was a better deal than a K4531.
** To allow me to rig up my Mindstorms RIS as a 2nd controller.

I'm seriously thinking of:

a 2nd 4565 (for all the 2 truck frames)

(anyone know of a good source of red train windows besides 3225? I'd
like to make a decent red passenger car).

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com