 Trains / 11370
Re: James Mathis goes US-proto: 8-wide Sante Fe study
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 14:11:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bram Lambrecht writes:
James Mathis writes:
Here it is:
I welcome your comments and criticism,

Hey look, something worth reading/looking at was posted on LUGNET today!
The amount of SNOT you put into your models is incredible, James. I was
wondering how structurally sound your designs are, however.  Do some parts
tend to fall off if handled the wrong way?  In my constructions, I always
try to attach parts in at least two places.  If a part isn't supposed to
move (say, an angled decorative element), I try as hard as I can to anchor
it so it won't move.  That way, the model always looks like it's supposed to
look.  How many people take similar approaches?

I do...

I've seen some of JM's models in the flesh and they do get firmer as he goes
through iterations but some of his early protos are fragile. But then so are
some of mine. I don't necessarily design for highest durability, that takes
a back seat to looking realistic and operating well.

++Lar