 Trains / 11381
Re: James Mathis goes US-proto: 8-wide Sante Fe study
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 00:51:13 GMT

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Gianluca Morelli writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
It's a US-proto freight loco, folks:

Well, I got the itch just to try a design study for an 8-wide US diesel
locomotive.  I see this type of locomotive frequently here in the high • desert
of central New Mexico.  They're HUGE!

You mean you see Santa Fe locos????

The best that I see are pictures found in either books or on the web. ;-)

But, yes, I can see them in real-life traveling the tracks near where I • live.
I live 2.3 hours away from the city of Sante Fe, New Mexico, USA.

The locos of this style here are also painted in an orange/black color
scheme, I think.  Named BNSF, for Burlington Northern Sante Fe.  Guess • there
was a merger sometime?  I don't know rail company details very well at • all.
Sorry.

I think they are the most beautiful ones....I remember,from my • childhood,some
pics of those huge,RED,beautiful locos,on my first illutrated books...it • was in
the 70s....at that times,in Italy,locos were painted in sh*t brown/clear • sh*t
brown scheme....the comparation with those coloured locos was a little
frustrating,for a child :-)))

Ew.  Yucky.

[ ... snipped ... ]

Someone will know more than I do but yes, Burlington Northern and Santa Fe
merged a while back.  I don't care much for the new paint jobs (BNSF) locos.
Here is a web site I have been using (actually, these are from a mirror of
the site as http://archive.trainpix.com is having some difficulties).

BNSF:  http://nietzsche.mit.edu/~auro/trains/photos/biel/BNSF/INDEX.HTM
Santa Fe:  http://nietzsche.mit.edu/~auro/trains/photos/biel/ATSF/INDEX.HTM

And of course, my version of the Santa Fe locomotive (six wide, 32 studs
long).

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders