 Trains / 11375
Re: James Mathis goes US-proto: 8-wide Sante Fe study
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 16:44:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Gianluca Morelli writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
It's a US-proto freight loco, folks:

Well, I got the itch just to try a design study for an 8-wide US diesel
locomotive.  I see this type of locomotive frequently here in the high desert
of central New Mexico.  They're HUGE!

You mean you see Santa Fe locos????

The best that I see are pictures found in either books or on the web. ;-)

But, yes, I can see them in real-life traveling the tracks near where I live.
I live 2.3 hours away from the city of Sante Fe, New Mexico, USA.

The locos of this style here are also painted in an orange/black color
scheme, I think.  Named BNSF, for Burlington Northern Sante Fe.  Guess there
was a merger sometime?  I don't know rail company details very well at all.
Sorry.

I think they are the most beautiful ones....I remember,from my childhood,some
pics of those huge,RED,beautiful locos,on my first illutrated books...it was in
the 70s....at that times,in Italy,locos were painted in sh*t brown/clear sh*t
brown scheme....the comparation with those coloured locos was a little
frustrating,for a child :-)))

Ew.  Yucky.

It's only a design study for the cab, nose, ground-level stairs, and coupler.
Personally, I feel it is a bit disproportionate in some areas- hopefully all
scaleable for correction...??
But, I will probably not see it through to a finished model.  It just doesn't
hold my attention any longer.  Plus, I don't have any US style freight cars to
pull.

Here it is:

I welcome your comments and criticism, but please realize that I will likely
not continue revising this MOC.... so, if anything sparks your interest,
please

Interesting stuff....finally 8wide....some work still to be done about the
lenght (looks a little short.... :-)) ),but width is ok and that's a good place
where to start ;-))))))))

"Finally 8-wide"?  I have done a few other 8-wide designs.  They're in my
BrickShelf gallery.  Have you not seen them before?

It will surely look better,with 9v wheels...If I were you I'd lift it a few
from the rails...

Agreed.

Bravo!
Gianluca