 Trains / 11371
Re: Amtrak HHP-8
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 14:24:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:

I like it James, I'm not usually a big fan of electric (straight-electric,
that is) motive power, but I like your red pantographs. They really give the
model that 'second-glance appeal'.

I have to agree on the red pantos, those really make it special.

Now all you have to do is make some cars to go behind it. And on a personal
note: I think Acela is a step in the right direction for Amtrak.

I wish Acela all the best but I recently had reason to take the train Boston
to NYC and I could not justify Acela to my management.

Regular service fare was something like 58 USD, Northeast Direct business
class was 80 or so, and Acela was over 300 USD from South Station Boston to
Penn Station NYC. Acela saves less than an hour on Northeast Direct. And
since I was business class, I had a nice big comfy seat, lots of legroom and
a 110V outlet to plug my laptop into, I was fine with spending an extra 45
min on the train since i was working my butt off.

So the numbers for Acela aren't there at that price point. Not when the
Delta Shuttle from Logan to LGA is 199 and there is no 24 hour rental car
return at South Station or Penn Station so I have to take cabs from the
stations to the airport to get my car (or vice versa to get rid of it)

Amtrak needs to work on that. I want to take the train!!! (who here doesn't
think I do?) ... but it has to make economic sense.