 Trains / 10375
Re: A question about Insulation between tracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:11:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Zhengrong Zang writes:
My friends asked me a question about Insulation between tracks, I am not
sure if it will be a problem. Base on some expert's idea, we can
insulated tracks using adhesive tape as follow:
                          |----|
+ ===========O======= -
-  ===========O======= +

|----| is motor
=== is tracks
O     is insulation

The problem is when motor is on the two parts of insulated tracks, and
the current is opposite as above, does the short circuit happen? How can
we avoid it?

Never allow it to happen. While for LEGO it's not a big deal, in regular MR,
it is, it can burn out power packs. Make sure you switch your isolated
segment in a way that it doesn't occur (you need an isolated segment which
is switchable, made by a PAIR of gaps spaced some distance apart, not just
one set of gaps)... make sure your isolated segment is long enough to span
the longest train you are likely to want to reverse (or at least the longest
locomotive lashup)

++Lar

I have to had that your desing will not allow a train to move very far. Even if
you do 2 gap like Larry write, your train moving from left to rigth, when it
will go to the section of reverse polarity will simply start go backward until
it reach the left section again where it will go forward again to the rigth
section to reverse back.... thus creating a "dancing" train.

to create a reversing loop you need a section of track long enough insulated
from the loop on boot side and when your train is on that section you reverse
the polarity of the main portion of the track.

   ===========================
  |              /
        ^
     insulated
     portion

you can use the LEGO polarity switch that some technic set had in the 90' or do
it with mindstrom.

Martin