 Trains / 10301
Re: A question about Insulation between tracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 02:58:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford writes:

Brian Williams <brian_williams@ameritech.net> wrote in message

3. Both the above approaches require good awareness to avoid shorts which
will inevitably occur.  Another approach, if your prototype allows it, is • to
make working overhead caternary which serves as ground and then make both
rails the positive feed.  You'll never have a short.

Of course, then you have the possibility of two trains having a head-on.....

I'm not sure I agree. Can you take me through it? If I have two trains on
the same block, they will go the same direction, whether they get power from
catenary with return through both rails, or whether they get power just from
the rails.

If I have two trains on different blocks, yes, they could head on at the
block boundary but that's true either way.

At least that's why my reasoning tells me. Nothing has changed from regular
model railroading.

(Lionel(??) AC units could head on because they have reversers and the power
is always the same on the rails)

++Lar