 Trains / 10228
Re: A question about Insulation between tracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 03:34:55 GMT

The scenario you are proposing in indeed a problem.  It happens commonly
when using block control or reversing loops.  A couple sugguestions:

1. If you are using block control, then create shorter blocks and adopt a
rule that no two trains can operate simultaneously on adjacent blocks.  This
is actually prototype practice under some signalling systems, although the
prototypes do it for safty reasons.

2. If you are creating a reversing loop, then make a short section of track
maybe 2 or 3 straights long to serve as a transition block.  You can
purchase ready built electronic mechanisms that when hooked-up will detect
incoming trains into the loop and adjust the polarity accordingly on exit.
Check with your local hobby shop.

3. Both the above approaches require good awareness to avoid shorts which
will inevitably occur.  Another approach, if your prototype allows it, is to
make working overhead caternary which serves as ground and then make both
rails the positive feed.  You'll never have a short.

4. I've not had good luck with tape on track.  It wears out and gums-up the
wheels.  You might try inserting a 1/8 wide strip of paper between one or
both rail joints when connecting two sections of track and using a knife to
gently trim the top.  Works great, its invisible, and maintenance free.

-BMW

In lugnet.trains, Zhengrong Zang writes:
My friends asked me a question about Insulation between tracks, I am not
sure if it will be a problem. Base on some expert's idea, we can
insulated tracks using adhesive tape as follow:
                          |----|

|----| is motor
=== is tracks
O     is insulation

The problem is when motor is on the two parts of insulated tracks, and
the current is opposite as above, does the short circuit happen? How can
we avoid it?

Zhengrong